Final Instructions from a Father to a Son
1 Kings 2:2–4 (NKJV) “2 “I go the way of all the earth; be strong, therefore, and prove yourself a man. 3 And keep the charge of the Lord your God: to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn; 4 that the Lord may fulfill His word which He spoke concerning me, saying, ‘If your sons take heed to their way, to walk before Me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul,’ He said, ‘you shall not lack a man on the throne of Israel.’”
King David is near death and gives Solomon 8nal instructions on how he should rule after the death of David. David instructions to Solomon in three things:
1. Be Strong
2. Prove yourself a man.
3. Keep the charge of the Lord your God to walk in His ways, keep His statutes His commandments, His judgments, and His testimonies.
The result of following David’s instructions:
1. You may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn
2. You shall not lack a man on the throne of Israel.
Here is what we can learn from David’s instruction:
1. A strong man in the Lord realizes his weaknesses and seeks the Lord’s strength to overcome them. Romans 7:24–25 (NKJV) “24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! …”
2. To prove yourself a man, you must live a righteous life. 1 Kings 1:52 (NKJV) “52 Then Solomon said, “If he proves himself a worthy man, not one hair of him shall fall to the earth; but if wickedness is found in him,he shall die.””
3. In keeping the ways of God, you will prosper in the ways of God and you will be able to pass on what you have learned to your children.
We all want to pass on words of wisdom to our children. But we see David spending most of his time instructing Solomon on the importance of walking with the Lord. May we follow in the footsteps of David and spend most of our time instructing our children in the ways of the Lord beginning today!
Pastor Jason Davitt